Learn from the Hoop Master August 4 at 9:00 am
Send us an email for request on classes and also things you would like our store to stock, teach or ways we can improve! We love your feedback!
- There are no calendar items for this month or next month.
- From a fresh selection of fabric to a huge assortment of thread, embroidery supplies and notions, The Sewing Machine Center is the best source for all things sewing in the Fort Smith, Arkansas, area. Our store features a full line of Janome and Elna sewing machines, along with parts and accessories, and on-site maintenance and repair services. We also offer a wide range of classes, taught in a casual, no-pressure atmosphere, for sewing enthusiasts of all skill levels. We specialize in exceptional customer service, with a friendly, well-trained staff that’s always on hand to offer attentive, personalized assistance!
ANITA GOODESIGNS STICHIN IN THE KITCHEN AUGUST 3, 10:00 A.M.CHECK BOOK IN THE HOOP AUGUST 5, 10:00 10:00 A.M.MOMMY AND ME APRON AUGUST 10, 10:00 A.M.SIT AND SEW AUGUST 12, 10:00 A.M.ARTISTIC CLASS AUGUST 14, 10:00 A.M.TEN MINUTE TABLE RUNNER OPEN TO THE PUBLIC AUGUST 15, 10:00 A.M.QUILT BLOCK OF THE MONTH AUGUST 17, 10:00 A.M.PAPER PIECING CLASS AUGUST 24, 10:00 A.M.KEY CHAIN ZIP BAG IN THE HOOP AUGUST 26, 10:00 A.M.CRAZY PATCH QUILT BLOCKS AUGUST 28, 10:00 A.M.SHOW AND TELL TEA PARTY AUGUST 31, 10:00 A.M.
Frequently Asked Questions
|Binding Small Projects or Wall Hangings|
Binding Small Projects or Wall Hangings
The single fold binding is one of the most traditional and is suitable for tablerunners, placemats and wall hangings.
Supplies and Notions
- A project ready for binding
- Janome Sewing Machine
- Blind Hem Foot G
- Fabric for binding
- All-purpose sewing thread
- All quilting on your project should be finished. Square up the project, trimming all layers (top, batting, backing) so that they are even. Before applying binding, sew a 1/4" around the outside edge. This will keep the fabric layers from shifting while binding is being applied. To reduce bulk in the seam, you may wish to trim the batting from the hem area.
- Measure the length of each side. (Opposite sides should be approximately the same length). Cut 4 strips of fabric 2 1/2" wide times the measurement plus 2". (Note: The strips are cut on the straight grain of fabric. It is a misconception that binding has to be cut on the bias. This is only necessary if the sides of your project are scalloped or curved. These instructions are for straight edge binding, not for curves.)
- On one edge of each of the strips, iron under 1/2".
- Place all-purpose sewing thread in needle and bobbin.
- Select a straight stitch. Snap on the "A" foot.
- Place the un-ironed raw edge of the strip to the wrong side of the project, having all raw edges even. Sew, from end to end, using a 1/2" seam allowance. (Note: If sewing with the Memory Craft 9000, use the Cloth Guide for straight 1/2" seams).
- Sew another strip to the opposite side.
- Wrap binding to the right side placing the folded edge of the binding just over the seamline. Pin in place.
- Snap on the "G" foot. Place the metal guide of the foot on the folded edge of the binding. Sew along the edge of the fold. (Note: Depending on the loft on the edge of the project, you may need to adjust the needle position to make sure you are sewing on the binding).
- Repeat for the opposite side.
- Trim binding ends even with the project.
- Sew the two remaining strips, having the binding extend 1/2" to 1" beyond the project at each end.
- To finish the four ends, fold the binding over twice to conceal the raw edge and slipstitch or machine stitch in place.
|Help my machine was fine and now....|
Thread Needle Tension
Re thread pull spool totally off of machine and start fresh. Needle replace needle could be bent and Tension if you have automatic tension then get a flashlight and see if there is something stuck (due to thread break) if this does not fix replace your thread with a different spool and change your bobbin!